Wednesday General Programme class
With Gen-la Dekyong
Wednesdays 7.30 – 9pm
Sept 13, 20, 27
How to Understand the Mind ~ A Practical Guide to developing & maintaining a light positive mind
In this series of classes following the extraordinary book How to Understand the Mind (Part One) by Venerable Geshe Keslang Gyatso, we will begin to develop a clear understanding of the mind. We will discover how to engage in the essence of Dharma practice, by learning how to recognise and abandon states of mind that harm us and replace them with peaceful beneficial states. This is the real purpose of being born human. Invaluable and practical advice for everyone.
The topics will include:
- What is our mind?
- How our mind is able to move;
- The gross, subtle and very subtle minds;
- Primary Minds and Mental Factors;
the Five All-accompanying Mental Factors (feeling; discrimination; intention; contact; attention);
- Five object ascertaining mental factors (aspiration; firm apprehension; mindfulness; concentration and wisdom)
- Eleven virtuous mental factors (faith, sense of shame, consideration for others, non-attachment, non-hatred, non-ignorance, effort, mental suppleness, conscientiousness, equanimity, non-harmfulness)
- Six Root Delusions (desirous attachment, anger, deluded pride, ignorance, deluded doubt, deluded view)
- The Twenty secondary delusions
- Four changeable mental factors.
£6 per class. Book individual classes or book for the course.
It is also possible to drop-in to a class.
Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong
Gen-la Kelsang Dekyong is the General Spiritual Director of NKT-IKBU and Resident Teacher and Special Teacher Training Programme Teacher at Manjushri KMC, the mother centre of modern Buddhism
She has been a student of Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche for over 30 years, sincerly training under his guidance in all aspects of modern Buddhism. Gen-la is recognized as a fully qualified Buddhist Teacher of both Sutra and Tantra.